Our client is a nuclear energy technology company. They are working to raise living standards globally. The essential factor? Energy. They believed that business interests could develop a scalable, sustainable, low-carbon and cost competitive energy source that would allow all nations to quicken their pace of economic development and reduce poverty. Their goal is to provide the world with a more affordable, secure and environmentally friendly form of nuclear energy.
The company was established to bring together the strengths and experience of the world’s public and private nuclear energy sectors to develop a new generation of nuclear reactors that would responsibly meet growing energy needs around the globe. Its approach addresses the traditional shortcomings of nuclear power, in terms of safety, cost effectiveness, environmental soundness, and resistance to weapons proliferation.
The Senior Project Controls Engineer (PCE) will have responsibility for supporting planning and scheduling efforts as well as cost engineering, estimating, analysis and control of assigned projects for both company self-performed and subcontracted work scope. The PCE will work closely with various project stakeholders including management, engineers, and buyers as well as other subcontracted teams or individuals. The PCE will lead the development of systems and procedures for establishing key project control processes thereby ensuring management’s ability to monitor and control key project performance metrics.
• Utilize EVMS principles and other project management best practices while supporting managers in the development and maintenance of assigned schedule and cost responsibilities.
• Establishment of new projects including development of an appropriate project hierarchy, work breakdown structure, and cost code structure.
• Development and maintenance of project schedules for assigned work scope. This may include utilization of various planning techniques, including creation of standard schedule fragnets, rolling wave planning, etc…
• Application of resource management principles to the schedule development and maintenance process including: assigning, forecasting, and leveling resources; development of resources curves and histograms for management decision making purposes.
• Apply project funding, staffing and other internal / external constraints to determine impact to project schedules.
• Lead month-end Earned Value reporting process including assessing of BCWS, BCWP, ACWP, SPI, CPI, EAC, BAC, and VAC for assigned projects with variance reports to be written for any values that exceed established thresholds.
• Provide periodic funding requirement updates to Finance, thus ensuring changes from established funding profile are clearly communicated and anticipated.
• Modify, update, and monitor project budget and accruals and provide such information to TerraPower Finance department to be used in the preparation of invoices to clients for billable work.
• Facilitate change control process through development of Project Change Notices (PCNs) for those budget or schedule affecting changes which exceed established thresholds.
• Support internal and external stakeholders by the creation of ad-hoc reports, analysis, and forecasting as required.
• Develop and maintain project summary level schedules. Provide schedule development, maintenance, and progress reporting as required.
• Support development of Project Controls and Project Management organizations and processes through participation in continual improvement projects.
• Experience in the application of Earned Value Management (EVM) methodologies in schedule development, maintenance, and reporting as well as in cost and budget development and maintenance.
• Experience performing Critical Path methodologies to identify schedule-related problems which arise during project execution and a demonstrated history of recommending and implementing mitigating actions utilizing creative solutions to minimize impacts to project schedule.
• Experience with baseline change control and exposure to other project controls disciplines including risk management, and estimating are desired.
• Proficient in the use of Oracle’s Primavera P6 including the ability to train / teach advanced P6 to other project controls personnel.
• Proficient in the use of industry standard cost processing tool (Cobra, Prism, etc…).
• Advanced skills in Microsoft Office including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• Broad and comprehensive knowledge of general engineering practices.
• Demonstrated strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
• Strong technical writing ability.
• Independent worker who works well with minimal supervision.
• The successful candidate will possess a high degree of trust and integrity, communicate openly, display respect, and demonstrate a desire to foster teamwork.
• A minimum of ten years of relevant and similar professional experience as a Project Controls Engineer, preferably in commercial nuclear power industry. Mandatory that experience includes R&D and Engineering Projects
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or other technical field.
• PMI SP® or PMP® or AACE CCP Certification