Our client is a regulatory agency for the state of Washington. This agency administers an admission process, provides record-keeping and licensing functions; and administers the state regulations and disciplines. As a professional association, thy provide continuing education fin addition to numerous other educational and member-service activities.
This position oversees the development, implementation, and supervision of the human resources functions, including recruitment and retention, compensation and benefits, employee relations, diversity, equity and inclusion, legal compliance, equal employment opportunity, training and development, performance management, and human resources policies and procedures to assure compliance with applicable laws, policies and procedures. The Human Resources Director works with the Executive Director and Executive Management Team to ensure the full development and performance of employees to meet our mission and develop organizational structures that ensure the on-going viability of the organization. This position also oversees the Member Wellness Program.
In collaboration with the Executive Director, Executive Management Team and managers, strategically guides the development and implementation of recruitment and retention programs to meet talent needs and to build a workforce to meet the future talent needs of the organization. This includes policies and practices that support an inclusive environment for applicants and employees from diverse backgrounds.
• Provides counsel on human resource issues throughout the organization. Serves as the primary employee relations consultant for employees and management, facilitating communication and conflict resolution. Consults with General Counsel or outside counsel, as appropriate, on personnel matters. Provides direct support to supervisors/managers to assist them in managing personnel matters in compliance with regard to employment laws and regulations. Interprets and clarifies employment policies to employees.
• Manages the compensation program to assure that the maintains an externally competitive and internally equitable compensation structure. Participate in applicable salary surveys.
• Reviews reclassification requests and recommends classification changes as appropriate to the Executive Director and Executive Management Team; manages the performance review process, identify staff development needs and develop opportunities and strategies to meet these needs.
• Assists managers with job specifications development and maintains master record of all job specifications. Works with managers to ensure that Job Specifications are reviewed and/or updated annually; designs and directs new employee on-boarding activities to ensure a comprehensive approach to on-boarding.
• In consultation with the Executive Director, develops agenda and programs for All Staff Meetings; actively participates in the Staff Advisory Forum for Employees (S.A.F.E.) and Activities Committee.
• Assesses staff training needs and develops supervisory and employee training opportunities to enhance supervisory and employee skills, facilitates professional development, strengthens understanding of the organization, and builds staff morale.
• Oversees the employee benefit programs, including open enrollment, COBRA, FMLA administration, and resolving employee inquiries relating to their benefit plans.
• Actively partners with all departments to promote cooperation, communication, and collaboration in accomplishing mission and strategic goals; oversees HRIS; maintains personnel records and HR information (e.g., WSBA organization chart, HR intranet information, etc.) in accordance with regulations. Develops employment policies in consultation with the Executive Director and department directors and assists with the implementation of such policies. Maintains the Employee Handbook.
• Ensure compliance with all annual reporting requirements (e.g., EEO-1 (Equal Employment Opportunity) Report; OSHA (Occupational/Safety/Health Act) Report, etc.).
• Manages workers compensation and unemployment claims processes. Counsel employees regarding the process for filing claims.
• Develops the HR department and employee benefits annual budgets including recommendations for compensation plan budget and changes. Consults with departments on staffing changes as needed.
• Oversees Member Wellness Program, providing leadership and strategic direction to the Program Manager responsible for the daily management of the program.
• Minimum five years’ experience working within the non-profit environment, Board of Directors, and/or Board appointed committees.
The selected candidate should have a Minimum of 7 years as human resources senior management experience. Supervisory experience. Budget development, payroll and benefits administration, employee relations and training experience. Demonstrated experience working with volunteers, non-profits, Boards and/or Board-appointed committees.
Preferred: Experience in a nonprofit or government organization; exposure to legal or law firm environment
B.A. in Human Resources or related field or equivalent experience and a minimum of 10 years senior level experience in HR. PHR or SPHR certification. Master’s degree preferred.