Our client is an industry leader in the safe and environmentally sound conversion of everyday residential and business waste - and other renewable waste fuels - into clean energy. They originally pioneered the waste-to-energy industry in the United States when it designed, built and operated the first commercially successful facility in 1975.
This waste management company committed to delivering essential waste management solutions to customers and communities supported by a team of 1,800 employees. They prioritize preserving our environment for future generations while providing for today’s needs. This is a vertically integrated business with a platform of 50 strategically located collection, transfer and disposal assets. These include waste-to-energy facilities, transfer stations, ash monofills, landfills, and fleets of rail cars and collection vehicles. More than 13 million tons of waste are processed by our client annually, converting 9 million tons of waste into clean, renewable energy that powers 685,000 homes and recycle more than 390K tons of plastic, paper and metals from the waste stream.
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage
Prescription Drug Plan
Dental and Vision Plans
Short- and Long-term Disability
Flexible Spending Account
Adoption Assistance Program
Employee Assistance Program
Education Savings Account
The Assistant Controller is to support the Controller as an accounting business partner to all business lines of the company and lead an accounting team. This person will help review and oversee accounting and reporting of company metrics and other financial data, assist with internal controls and assist in the review and preparation of financial statements.
• Oversee the monthly closing and reporting process, as well as manage the audit progression in a timely manner
• Proactively initiate and drive efficiency programs designed to add value by increasing team capacity, integrity to the financial statements and/or drive down 3rd party fees
• Proactively drive fee management and scoping negotiations for 3rd party valuations and audit fees
• Develop new accounting policies and procedures as the organization continues to grow
• Manage monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidated reporting process, ensuring timely and accurate results
• Monitor and analyze monthly operating results against trend, forecast and budget
• Responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, support the preparation of accurate and timely financial reports and statements, and ensure appropriate accounting control procedures
• Serve as a technical accounting expert for US GAAP related accounting matters; able to understand business issues and apply appropriate accounting judgement to enable sound accounting conclusions
• Responsible for controls implementation and compliance; liaison with Internal Audit team as the function forms
• Review and approve outgoing payments
• Manage the development, implementation, and interpretation of goals, policies, and procedures relating to accounting and reporting
• Support accounting related systems implementations
• Oversee all other daily operations of the accounting department
• Manage integration of accounting from acquired organizations
• Manage the talent of the accounting organization through coaching and development, including structuring formal development plans and hiring the right talent into the right roles
• 7+ years of direct management experience
• Analytical and problem-solving skills
• Leadership in the preparation of monthly financial statements and audit management.
• Must have lead initiatives designed to improve the performance/capacity of the team or accounting processes. Formal change management experience a plus.
• Must be a self-starter with the initiative to learn, teach others and a great work ethic
• Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Excel and related accounting business systems. D365 experience a plus
• Technical proficiency in financial reporting and researching complex accounting transaction treatments
• Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with multiple deadlines in a fast paced environment
• Experience with acquisition integrations, purchase accounting and system implementations a plus.
• Strong written and oral communication skills both cross functionally and with senior leaders
• Required: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business-related field. CPA or equivalent
• Preferred: Master’s level degree