Our client is an established company that specializes in software for property management and point-of-sale systems for the hospitality industry. Their client base includes household names spanning various industries - major hotel chains, restaurants, and casinos. The Bellevue office is developing their next-generation software for the industry space. The company is established and their Seattle office (located on the east-side) runs much like a start-up.
We are seeking experienced Sr. Systems Engineers for the Ops team. In this position, you will directly contribute in the building out of a next generation HA SaaS environment for their core-product/s. You will also participate in platform architecture decisions and be considered a key player on the hosting operations team. The primary responsibility of this job is engineering, administering, and fixing - web, database, and application servers - in a mid-flight large-scale production setting. An ideal engineering professional is someone who lives and breathes systems administration, has advanced, expert-level Linux experience from the command line, and is excited by an opportunity to work in a large-scale production environment and deal with issues of high-availability and scalability.
- Overall operations and Linux generalist with many years of experience to draw from when solving problems. New challenges and problems arise regularly and new opportunities for improvement in tools are common. Our work is still developing and changing and the DevOps team needs to be able to adapt and stay in front of both new technologies and new problems.
- Discuss work with team members, ask questions, give and receive advice
- Perform all work with security, best practice, and operational concerns in mind
- Work with docker and docker images and containers. Use docker-compose. Build new images and write new docker-files. Work with and troubleshoot docker containers running in a production environment
- Writing and improving Ansible roles, occasionally pushing the boundaries of what Ansible can do
- Developing bash (or python) scripts using tools such as grep, awk, sed, and using concepts like conditionals, loops, arrays, etc.
- Experience with load balancing and proxying (haproxy, nginx, etc.) and experience planning, developing, and building solutions considering HA needs
- Understand git best practices and workflow
- Evaluating and implementing monitoring solutions, including time-series and trending monitoring solutions, time-series DBs, etc. Understand differences between monitoring solutions like Nagios and time-series or trending monitoring
- Manage and own projects through all stages: concepts and planning, meetings, consider needs from other teams, proof of concept, build production solution and roll out, document
- Work with Azure (ARM), working with and updating templates, automation of server spin-up/spin-down, monitoring, and using other Azure tools
- Familiar enough with Windows Servers to secure the OS, gather logs, and use Ansible or other automation to manage
- Work with VMware VMs, automating template updating, automate spin-up and expiration of VMs
- Work with multiple development teams, attend occasional meetings
- be familiar with different types of cluster concepts, used by Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Mongo, HAProxy, etc.
- Ideally have evaluated, configured, or managed a mesosphere environment
- Evaluate and implement backup solutions, considering retention needs and rate of incremental and full backups
- Evaluate security patches and updates and determine priority for implementing
- Work with FIM, host and network IDS, antivirus tools and solutions
- Manage Mongo clusters, data nodes, config nodes, etc. Possess understanding of any of the NoSQL solutions such as Mongo, Elasticsearch, Cassandra and how it differs from relational DBs.
- Experienced with Linux distros - Centos 7 preferred but not required.
- Experienced with enterprise configuration management tools such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, Salt, etc.
- Experience (or professional interest) to work with Docker containers. For those of you who have been working with containers years before Docker came on the scene, this should suffice.
- Knowledge and skills of load-balancing.
- Additional skills include experience in virtualization (VMware), Docker-compose, and Mesos.
- IaaS/Cloud such as Azure, AWS, Rackspace, Softlayer, Openstack.