Verticalmove is responsible for building one of the most cutting-edge technology groups throughout Microsoft. The Experimentation and Analysis (ExP) group empowers every major product within Microsoft to objectively influence iterative changes to these products and their features through intelligent, data-driven, controlled experiments.
The internet connectivity of client software (e.g., apps running on phones and PCs), web sites, and online services provide an unprecedented opportunity to evaluate ideas quickly using controlled experiments, also called A/B tests, split tests, randomized experiments, control/treatment tests, and online field experiments. Unlike most data mining techniques for finding correlational patterns, controlled experiments allow establishing a causal relationship with high probability. Experimenters can utilize the Scientific Method to form a hypothesis of the form "If a specific change is introduced, will it improve key metrics?" and evaluate it with real users.
The unofficial shorter story...
It’s highly likely that if you use *ANY* major online service, Microsoft or not, you’re involved in an anonymous controlled experiment right now. Bing as an example conducted more than 10,000 A/B controlled experiments last year, obsessed in making Bing one of the best online experiences for it’s users in the world.
You can read further about the ExP group via these links below:
Ready to shape the future of how people interact with data?
The Analysis and Experimentation Team is looking for talented engineers who strive to build highly scalable, performant and robust systems that help users understand data. Do you have a passion for finding innovative solutions to difficult problems? Do you thrive on building tools that help users find insights in data that would otherwise be hidden and useless? We want to hear from you!
What you'll do:
• Design and build new services.
• Maintain and improve existing services.
• Work closely with our analysts.
• Determine priorities by estimating the potential impact of projects.
• Produce high quality code.
• Improve those around you.
• Work directly with application teams/partners (internal clients such as Xbox, Skype, Office) to understand their offerings/domain and help them become successful with data so they can run controlled experiments (a/b testing).
• Leverage your statistical and computational knowledge to build algorithms for calculating variances.
• Understand the data generated by experiments, and producing actionable, trustworthy conclusions from them.
• Handle large amounts of data using various tools, including your own. We prefer C#, Python and SQL but are open to all OO programming languages.
• Build data manipulation, data processing, and data visualization tools and share these tools across Microsoft.
• Apply data analysis, data mining and data processing to present data clearly and develop experiments (ab testing)
• Ensure high-quality data and understand how data is generated out experimental design and how these experiments can produce actionable, trustworthy conclusions.
• Work with development team to build tools for data logging and repeatable data tasks to accelerate and automate data scientist duties.
• Assist senior management in making key business decisions.
• Strong coding skills.
• Experience with a programming language such as C++, Java, C#, Objective C, Ruby or Python.
• Good understanding of data structures, algorithms and software engineering concepts.
• A strong sense of curiosity and a willingness to learn, share and improve.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience preferred.